Responsibility for provision of clothing rests with parents, with the exception of ceremonial dress (known as “Blues”) which is supplied by the school. Please note, the ceremonial uniform is an exclusive garment to the School and only ever on loan to students to wear on ceremonial occasions. Blues will be issued to students during the first half of the Autumn Term and need to be looked after. They are unique, expensive and very difficult to replace. For this reason, a charge will be made to parents for any items damaged, lost or not returned. Throughout the year students can exchange items that no longer fit at 'swap shops', which are held at School. Details of dates and times will be announced through our weekly bulletin.
All items of school uniform are available from Valentino’s. However, items that are not particular to the School may be obtained from any source provided that the style, colour and material content matches the description on the clothing list. Normal day wear is the blazer with the lightweight v-necked pullover worn underneath if required. Boys wear mid-grey trousers. Girls wear mid-grey skirts, which must be at least knee length. The School reserves the right to refuse to allow a student to wear unsatisfactory clothing. All clothing and other items MUST BE MARKED with the student's name and initials, using an embroidered sewn-in label (for clothing items) or other permanent marking as appropriate.
CEREMONIAL UNIFORM (“Blues”)
The School supplies and maintains the full ceremonial uniform to each student, which comprises of the following:-
- 1 pair Gordon Tartan Trews or Kilt
- 1 Blue Tunic
- 1 Glengarry or Tam o'Shanter
- 1 pair of red flashes (for use with ‘piper’s green’ socks – parents to buy for girls from Valentino’s)
The ceremonial uniform will be issued once a student starts at Gordon's, regular swaps can be made to make sure the uniform fits correctly. These will be made via the 'Swap Shops'.
Swap Shop dates for the Autumn Term 2018 are as follows:
If you need to make changes to your ceremonial uniform Swap Shops will be held in "The Blues Store" between 12.45pm and 1.30pm on the following days.
17th/18th September - Girls' Houses
19th/20th September - Boys' Houses
8th/9th October - Girls' Houses
10th/11th October - Boys' Houses
5th/6th November - Girls' Houses
7th/8th November - Boys' Houses
Those students who are members of the Band are supplied with all Band Highland Uniform and accoutrements.
NOTE: Alterations to ceremonial uniform remain the sole responsibility of the school and are NOT to be undertaken by any other agency.
The average time required to fit a new student for their uniform is one hour. The most efficient method is by appointment. Parents are strongly encouraged to telephone the school suppliers, Valentino’s, as soon as possible to book an appointment which suits them.
Telephone: 01483 473357 or 01483 475051 at G & S by Valentino Ltd.
PLEASE NOTE: The ceremonial uniform will be issued at school.
SCHOOL SUPPLIER OPENING TIMES
Please see Valentino’s website www.valentinoschoolwear.com
Valentino’s, 23-29 Broadway, Knaphill, Woking, Surrey, GU21 2DR
Telephone: 01483 475051
SECOND HAND CLOTHES SALES
Second hand clothes sales are organised by the parent association - the GSPA. Their website is www.gsa-uk.net and carries information on the dates of the clothes sales planned.
Gordon’s School has an outstanding reputation for high standards and expectations. This also applies to school uniform. Students are expected to adhere to these standards and school uniform is to be worn during normal school hours and during prep. The following details should be noted:
- Skirts should be at least knee length at the beginning of term otherwise it will be too short halfway through the term.
- Hair should be neat, not excessively coloured and should be tied back with a plain band.
- Make-up and nail varnish are not allowed. This includes all make-up.
- Girls are only allowed one earring in the lower lobe of each ear – no other piercings are allowed.
- With the exception of the above rule, jewellery is not allowed.
- Shoes should be robust, plain and formal, of matte black leather (not patent). “Ballet” style shoes are not allowed.
- Girls should wear white ankle socks (100 denier black tights from after half term in October to Easter).
- Hair must not be too long or excessively short, shaved or coloured.
- Boys’ trousers should be light grey and not tapered.
- Shoes should be formal and not “fashion” or pointed.
- The top button of the shirt must be fastened at all times.
- Ties should reach the waistband – with at least seven stripes visible.
- Shirts must be tucked in, not “folded” or hanging out. Please ensure your child’s shirt is long enough to tuck into the waistband of skirts/trousers.
- In hot weather, long shirt sleeves may be folded neatly at the elbow. Short sleeved shirts and blouses are also permitted.
Items of lost property may be reclaimed from the School Office. Items of sports kit should be reclaimed from the PE Office.