Departments and Subjects
Our teaching philosophy:
- There is no one way to teach good and outstanding lessons, as long as students are engaged, challenged and know how to improve.
- Good teachers live our character values in the classroom, put students first and are passionate about their subject and that every student in the class succeeds.
- Happy children learn best.
- Staff are teachers of children rather than subjects.
- All teaching should develop in students the requisite knowledge, skills, attributes and behaviours for them to achieve well across any discipline
- There are no shortcuts and hard work is the key ingredient in success
We are proud of our long association with the Prince's Teaching Institute, an organisation dedicated to promoting coherence and challenge within the curriculum; extending and enthusing students through subject based activities that are beyond the curriculum; supporting teachers to develop, explore and share their own specialist subject knowledge; and forging subject-based links between schools.
Prince's Teaching Institute
English, mathematics, science, history, geography, music, art and MFL are all members of the Prince's Teaching Institute, a subject-based peer network for subject leaders keen to engage their love of teaching, develop a strong department and improve results. Detailed below are each subject's current focus:
- History - 'Promote the centenary of Passchendaele within a new SoW and establish links with the local community to strengthen this.'
- English - 'Promote the pedagogy of Harkness within the English department and the wider school in order to encourage Key Stage 5 students to be more proactive in their approach to learning.'
- Maths - “Promoting the use of tablets and ICT to maximise student progress and attainment in Maths”
- Science - 'Introduction of required practical activities into Key Stage 3 Science to develop students' investigative skills and to help prepare students for required practical assessment in their GCSE examinations'.
- Geography - 'Integrate statistical methods of investigation into Key Stage 3, 4 and 5.'
- Music - ‘Investigating how improving practice facilities, opportunities and education can create better musicians.’
- Art - 'Experiment with Key Stage 3 SOW to create more independent responses and exciting outcomes.'
Art & Design
In Art and Design we develop the skills, which enable students to record and express their
Business Studies is not taught in Years 7-9. However, the department has participated successfully
ICT and Computer Science are fundamental components of teaching at Gordon’s School and is taught
Design & Technology
Design and Technology is available for all students at Key Stage 3, and as an option at GCSE
Drama & Theatre Studies
All Key Stage 3 students are provided with a weekly Drama lesson. Through the Key Stage 3 curriculum
An understanding of how an economy works at a micro and macro level is crucial in making decisions
Students read a wide range of literature, including classic novels and late twentieth and early
Geography is core for all students at Key Stage 3. We aim to both inform and engage our students
Our philosophy is predicated on the belief that an understanding of history is vital for any
Year 7 students follow approximately six weeks of each of the three languages through the Autumn
Gordon’s Learning Support Department has the experience and expertise to provide for students
The Key Stage 3 Mathematics course follows the National Curriculum requirements, covering topics
Media Studies is offered at Key Stage Five at Gordon’s School; students complete examinations
Music is available for all students at Key Stage 3, and as an option at GCSE and A Level. In
Physical Education is at the heart of school life providing every student with the opportunity
Studying Psychology at A Level (AQA Syllabus) allows students to explain and evaluate human
At KS3, students are introduced to the major world religions, philosophical questions and ethical
Key Stage 3 Science at Gordon’s enables students to engage in understanding and learning Science
FOOD PREPARATION AND NUTRITION
@TechGordons 2 weeks ago