Skip to content ↓

Commemorating 130 Years

Commemorating 130 years since the opening of the School Chapel of St Edward the Confessor. The Chapel is dedicated to the Duke of Clarence and Avondale, the Prince of Wales’ eldest son and a supporter of the Gordon Boys’ Home, who died in a flu epidemic in 1892. The building  was instigated by Queen Victoria and among those attending the opening ceremony, led by the Bishop of Winchester on May 21st 1894 was the Prince of Wales and General Gordon’s youngest sister Helen Moffitt. Today the School Chaplain, the Reverend Graham Wright held special commemorative Services in the Chapel for students. In which he spoke about the history of the chapel and boys’ home. As part of the commemorations, the plaque on the wall of the Chapel has been renovated.

Year 7 students in the commemorative Chapel Service this morning, led by the School Chaplain the Reverend Graham Wright.


The plaque on the wall of the Chapel has been recently renovated with gold leaf.


One of the invitations to the opening of the Chapel on 21st May 1894.