Departments & Subjects
Prince's Teaching Institute
English, mathematics, science, history, geography, music, art and MFL are all members of the Prince's Teaching Institute, a subject-based peer network for subject leaders keen to engage their love of teaching, develop a strong department and improve results. Detailed below are each subject's current focus:
- History - 'Promote the centenary of Passchendaele within a new SoW and establish links with the local community to strengthen this.'
- English - 'Promote the pedagogy of Harkness within the English department and the wider school in order to encourage KS5 students to be more proactive in their approach to learning.'
- Maths - 'Develop problem-solving resources to prepare students for the new GCSE Mathematics examination and identify the impact that these resources have had on the students’ ability to cope with the new-style GCSE questions.'
- Science - 'Introduction of required practical activities into KS3 Science to develop students' investigative skills and to help prepare students for required practical assessment in their GCSE examinations'.
- Geography - 'Integrate statistical methods of investigation into KS3, 4 and 5.'
- Music - ‘Investigating how improving practice facilities, opportunities and education can create better musicians.’
- Art - 'Experiment with KS3 SOW to create more independent responses and exciting outcomes.'
Art & Design
In Art and Design we develop the skills, which enable students to record and express their
Business Studies is not taught in Years 7-9. However, the department has participated successfully
ICT and Computer Science are fundamental components of teaching at Gordon’s School and is taught
Design & Technology
Design and Technology is available for all students at Key Stage 3, and as an option at GCSE
Drama & Theatre Studies
All KS3 students are provided with a weekly Drama lesson. Through the KS3 curriculum students
An understanding of how an economy works at a micro and macro level is crucial in making decisions
Students read a wide range of literature, including classic novels and late twentieth and early
Geography is core for all students at Key Stage 3. We aim to both inform and engage our students
Our philosophy is predicated on the belief that an understanding of history is vital for any
Year 7 students follow approximately six weeks of each of the three languages through the Autumn
Gordon’s Learning Support Department has the experience and expertise to provide for students
The Key Stage 3 Mathematics course follows the National Curriculum requirements, covering topics
Media Studies is offered at Key Stage Five at Gordon’s School; students complete examinations
Music is available for all students at Key Stage 3, and as an option at GCSE and A Level. In
Physical Education is at the heart of school life providing every student with the opportunity
Studying Psychology at A Level (AQA Syllabus) allows students to explain and evaluate human
At KS3, students are introduced to the major world religions, philosophical questions and ethical
Key Stage 3 Science at Gordon’s enables students to engage in understanding and learning Science