During terms 1 and 2 of Year 12, students are briefed on the requirements for Oxbridge and Medicine and discussion sessions begin around extra reading. Visiting speakers form an important part of the programme and students are encouraged to attend the Oxford Study Days in March and the Cambridge Open Day in July. Application for the Eton Summer School is also encouraged. Heads of Department play an important role in identifying and supporting the potential candidates academically.
From June of Year 12, students are given support and guidance with their personal statements and help completing the UCAS form to meet the early deadline of 15th October. A rigorous schedule of practice interviews, with a variety of interviewers both from Gordon’s and outside, ensures candidates are well prepared for this part of the process. Recently we have linked up with schools such as Wellington College to broaden interview provision.
Gordon’s School offers Sixth Form students a comprehensive careers programme to prepare for Post-18 progression.
- Fortnightly industry speakers: guest speakers from a range of professions such as barristers, architects, occupational psychologists, to name just a few, provide insight into their professions and their journey towards it.
- Psychometric testing – offers a valuable insight into students’ aptitude for various career paths by producing a targeted profile of individuals' skills.
- One to one meeting with our dedicated careers advisor.
- CV writing workshop led by a recruitment specialist.
- A series of three HE evening presentations to parents and students with visiting university and apprenticeships speakers.
- Personal statement writing day.
- Insight talks: a lecture programme to stimulate intellectual curiosity and offer insight into a range of topics, with high profile and prominent speakers who are experts in their fields. One of our recent guests was Jeremy Paxman.
Russell Group Universities
Please click here for more information.
For more information and to apply, visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance
We provide extensive guidance and support to students making higher education choices. This includes one to one tutor sessions, one to one appointments with the careers advisor as well as visits to UCAS fair. There is also a Post -18 day where students write personal statements, and attend a choice of talks from Apprenticeship companies, Gap year companies and a talk from an international university advisor. We invite a range of universities to talk on our information evenings for students and parents across the academic year.
Mock interviews are organised to prepare students for university entrance interviews.
Specialised Medic and Oxbridge support is embedded into the programme by Mrs Wright.
Please click here for Blackstone Tutors Medicine MMI Interview Questions and Answers.
Please click here for Blackstone Tutors Medical School Interview Questions.
Please click here for presentation slides from the Further Education Information Evening held in October 2018.
Please click here for presentation slides from the Parents' Information Evening held on Thursday 15th November 2018 for students interested in a career in medicine, dentistry or veterinary sciences.